The 74, 475 DWT MV Golden Seas carrying a cargo of rapeseed oil suffered a turbocharger failure on its main engine late Thursday night, reducing main engine power sufficiently so that the ship could not make headway against the 29 foot seas and 35 knot winds. The ship was drifting perilously close to the shore of the Aleutian Islands. The Coast Guard reported that with moderating weather conditions, the crew had regained control of the ship while roughly 24 miles from shore and was now steaming at about 3.5 knots.
Coast Guard cutters have been dispatched and a salvage tug, Tor Viking II, has been dispatched from Dutch harbor and is expected to arrive at the ship sometime Saturday night. In the mean times, the weather is predicted to worsen again. The ship’s cargo of 60,000 MT of rapeseed, used to make canola oil, is not considered to pose a serious environmental hazard but the ship is also carrying roughly 1,600 tons of fuel oil, 40 tons of diesel fuel and 35 tons of lube oil.
Featured BooksHell Around the Horn
by Rick Spilman
A special message to the readers of Hell Around the Horn - Click hereThe Frigate Surprise: The Complete Story of the Ship Made Famous in the Novels of Patrick O'Brian by by Geoff Hunt and Brian Lavery
- empower network review on Nuclear Leak Forces Russian Icebreaker Taimyr Back to Port
- Jeffery Garmon on Blackfish, Backlash and the Bailing of the Bands from SeaWorld
- Pam Landy on Update: McMurdo Radiation Leaks – Peabody Award & Navy Confirms Veteran’s Exposure
- Bob on All is Lost, Robert Redford as Solo Sailor – a Review
- how to delete google plus account permanently on The Unsinkable Hugh Williams – Truth Behind the Legend?
- Ron Wilkinson on Visualizing Big Ships — Queen Mary 2, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller & Seawise Giant
- Rick Spilman on Visualizing Big Ships — Queen Mary 2, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller & Seawise Giant
- Pat Byrnes on Visualizing Big Ships — Queen Mary 2, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller & Seawise Giant
- dennis beebe on Visualizing Big Ships — Queen Mary 2, Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller & Seawise Giant
- Phil on Russia Scuttles Destroyer Ochakov, Blocking Ukrainian Navy Ships in Donuzlav Lake, Western Crimea
- mike on “Hell Around the Horn” on the Working Harbor Committee Blog
- Simone on All is Lost, Robert Redford as Solo Sailor – a Review
- Jim on All is Lost, Robert Redford as Solo Sailor – a Review
- Lawrence on All is Lost, Robert Redford as Solo Sailor – a Review
- Rich on All is Lost, Robert Redford as Solo Sailor – a Review
Proudly powered by WordPress. Weaver by WeaverTheme.com
TagsA.J. Meerwald aircraft carrier Alaska America's Cup Antarctica Australia Brad Van Liew California Canada China City of Adelaide container ship Costa Concordia Cutty Sark fire Giglio Gulf of Mexico HMS Bounty HMS Victory hudson river India Japan Joan Druett Laura Dekker Maine Maritime Museum of San Diego mystic seaport new york New York City new york harbor New Zealand pirates PortSide New York Pride of Baltimore II Royal Navy schooner shipwreck somalia Somali pirates South Street Seaport Museum Titanic tsunami US Coast Guard US Navy world war II