The next Great North River Tugboat Race and Competition is coming up on Labor Day weekend, on September 4th on the Hudson River in New York harbor. If my count is correct, this will be the 19th annual tug boat race. One of the reasons that he race is held every year sponsored by the Working Harbor Committee is to increase awareness of the importance of the harbor to the city and the world. Their efforts are obviously having an effect. This morning the Wall Street Journal took time out from covering market turmoil to report on the upcoming tugboat race. (I might take exception to the characterization of tugs as “ugly ducklings” and “dowdy.” A good article, nevertheless.) They also produced a video using, in part, footage previously shot for the Old Salt Blog and Will van Dorp’s tugster blog. Dean Bushala and David Sartorious also contributed footage. Go here to see our original video of the race in 2009.
Featured BooksHell Around the Horn
by Rick Spilman
A special message to the readers of Hell Around the Horn - Click hereThe Frigate Surprise: The Complete Story of the Ship Made Famous in the Novels of Patrick O'Brian by by Geoff Hunt and Brian Lavery
- This Week’s New York History Web Highlights | The New York History Blog on PortSide’s “Heavy Metal” Fundraising Sale!
- Bill McGrath on Nuclear plant leak in Antarctica suspected of causing cancer
- Rita Reneé Bronson on Missing WWII Sub, R12, Found with 42 Entombed Sailors
- OMG! Invasive Species: Asian Carp Confound U.S. System – Nick's Crusade on The Asian Carp Invasion – Kayaker Hit by Flying Carp
- John Barltrop on Update: Sewol Ferry Disaster — Ferry Owner Yoo Byung-eun Found Dead
- MICHALINE ANDRUSKO on The Return of Farrell Lines? Or Merely Seeing Shadows?
- Rick Spilman on Crow’s Nests : Part 2 — Floki, Ravens and Fighting Tops
- Ross E Pollock on Crow’s Nests : Part 2 — Floki, Ravens and Fighting Tops
- Phil on LaSalle’s Freeze-Dried Shipwreck La Belle on the Move
- Wrak VS vriesdroog naar museum | Bootjesgek.nl on LaSalle’s Freeze-Dried Shipwreck La Belle on the Move
- Kyle on LaSalle’s Freeze-Dried Shipwreck La Belle on the Move
- Scheepvaartnieuws | Bootjesgek.nl on Isabelle Autissier: Lessons from the Sea
- Mimi Filer on Whaler Charles W. Morgan Sails with Whales off Stellwagen Bank
- Jan Christensen on “No Ordinary Women” — Reality TV and the Hyping of the Volvo Ocean Race
- Rick Spilman on “No Ordinary Women” — Reality TV and the Hyping of the Volvo Ocean Race
TagsA.J. Meerwald aircraft carrier Alaska America's Cup Antarctica Australia Brad Van Liew California Canada capsize Charles W. Morgan China City of Adelaide container ship Costa Concordia Cutty Sark fire Giglio Gulf of Mexico HMS Bounty HMS Victory hudson river Japan Joan Druett Laura Dekker Maine Maritime Museum of San Diego mystic seaport new york new york harbor New Zealand pirates PortSide New York Pride of Baltimore II Royal Navy schooner shipwreck somalia Somali pirates South Street Seaport Museum Titanic tsunami US Coast Guard US Navy world war II