Shortly after Costa Crociere chairman and CEO Pier Luigi Foschi blamed the grounding of the Costa Concordia on an ”inexplicable” error by the captain, Gianni Scerni, the president of RINA, sat down for an interview with the Italian newspaper Il Secolo XIX. RINA, Registro Italiano Navale, is the Italian classification society that issued the certificate of seaworthiness and the Safety Management System (SMS) certification for the Costa Concordia. The resulting article, titled Ma l’armatore non poteva non sapere (But the owner could not find out) is critical of Costa management and questions the claim that Costa was unaware of the practice of its ships presenting a “salute” or “bow” in the form of a close passage by island of Giglio. Within hours of its publication, Gianni Scerni announced his resignation as the president of RINA. He disputed the accuracy of some of the comments in the interview but decided to resign from RINA nevertheless.
Featured BooksHell Around the Horn
by Rick Spilman
A special message to the readers of Hell Around the Horn - Click hereThe Frigate Surprise: The Complete Story of the Ship Made Famous in the Novels of Patrick O'Brian by by Geoff Hunt and Brian Lavery
- Scheepvaartnieuws | Bootjesgek.nl on The Demise of Ocean Classroom Foundation
- Diego on The Sewol Tragedy — Stability , Loading and Roll Period
- mike james on Shanty Sings All Over – Mystic, New York, San Francisco, Port Townsend & Washington DC
- will on The Demise of Ocean Classroom Foundation
- terry on Ocean Classroom’s Spirit of Massachusetts, Harvey Gamage, & Westward to be Auctioned
- Philip Sherwood on Lieutenant Commander Fred Sherwood DSC & Bar RCNVR – Canadian WWII Submarine Commander
- Jan Christensen on Schooner Virginia Cuts Season Short, Will Be Put Up For Sale
- This Week’s New York History Web Highlights | The New York History Blog on PortSide’s “Heavy Metal” Fundraising Sale!
- Bill McGrath on Nuclear plant leak in Antarctica suspected of causing cancer
- Rita Reneé Bronson on Missing WWII Sub, R12, Found with 42 Entombed Sailors
- OMG! Invasive Species: Asian Carp Confound U.S. System – Nick's Crusade on The Asian Carp Invasion – Kayaker Hit by Flying Carp
- John Barltrop on Update: Sewol Ferry Disaster — Ferry Owner Yoo Byung-eun Found Dead
- MICHALINE ANDRUSKO on The Return of Farrell Lines? Or Merely Seeing Shadows?
- Rick Spilman on Crow’s Nests : Part 2 — Floki, Ravens and Fighting Tops
- Ross E Pollock on Crow’s Nests : Part 2 — Floki, Ravens and Fighting Tops
TagsA.J. Meerwald aircraft carrier Alaska America's Cup Antarctica Australia Brad Van Liew California Canada capsize Charles W. Morgan China City of Adelaide container ship Costa Concordia Cutty Sark fire Giglio Gulf of Mexico HMS Bounty HMS Victory hudson river Japan Joan Druett Laura Dekker Maine Maritime Museum of San Diego mystic seaport new york new york harbor New Zealand pirates PortSide New York Pride of Baltimore II Royal Navy schooner shipwreck somalia Somali pirates South Street Seaport Museum Titanic tsunami US Coast Guard US Navy world war II