Back in the old days, the America’s Cup was sailed in 12 Meter yachts in the often misty light air of Rhode Island Sound. It was a competition more suited to still photography than video. How times have changed. Now elimination matches are being sailed in AC 45s in the East Passage, directly off Newport, Rhode Island. Click here for the program. And if you cannot make it to Newport for the races that start today, you can watch the action from the comfort of your couch. NBC will be broadcasting the finale of the series at 14.30 EDT on Sunday, July 1st. In California, Comcast Sports will also boradcast live racing each day, as well as a full replay at 2100 PDT. Globally, the coverage is available on more than 35 networks including Mediaset in Italy, Canal+ in France, SkySports in the UK, Supersport in South Africa, Rogers Sportsnet in Canada, OSN across the Middle-East, Fox Sports in Australia and TVNZ in New Zealand. Live webcasts will also available on the internet. Would someone please pass the potato chips?
Featured BooksHell Around the Horn
by Rick Spilman
A special message to the readers of Hell Around the Horn - Click hereThe Frigate Surprise: The Complete Story of the Ship Made Famous in the Novels of Patrick O'Brian by by Geoff Hunt and Brian Lavery
- Rick Spilman on Are Passenger Ro-Ros Inherently Unsafe? The Sewol Tragedy & Past Passenger/Ro-Ro Disasters
- DAVID RYE on Are Passenger Ro-Ros Inherently Unsafe? The Sewol Tragedy & Past Passenger/Ro-Ro Disasters
- cb on Update: Captain Error and Poor Bridge Design Caused Seastreak Wall Street Ferry Collision
- This Week’s Top New York History News | The New York History Blog on From the “Hole-in-the-Wall” to the Bridge Café — Gallus Mag to Hurricane Sandy
- Rick Spilman on E Ship 1 – Has the Flettner Rotor Ship Finally Arrived?
- naomi on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
- Phil on An Easter Sailing Video — Are Those My Peeps ?
- Rick Spilman on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
- kevin on Search Continues for Missing Crew from Bulk Carrier Nasco Diamond
- CAPT. D. Peter Boucher, Kt. SMOM, Dip. LA, MM (Ret.) on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
- Irwin Bryan on Saving the Gloucester Gillnetter Phyllis A.
- Capt Jerry Robbins,usmm(ret) on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
- Bob Stockton on Dead Fin Whale Arrives in New York Harbor on Bow of Container Ship
- jim konopasek on Schooner Bessie A. White – Hide & Seek Beneath the Sands of Fire Island
- sara on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
TagsA.J. Meerwald aircraft carrier Alaska America's Cup Antarctica Australia Brad Van Liew California Canada China City of Adelaide container ship Costa Concordia Cutty Sark fire Giglio Gulf of Mexico HMS Bounty HMS Victory hudson river India Japan Joan Druett Laura Dekker Maine Maritime Museum of San Diego mystic seaport new york New York City new york harbor New Zealand pirates PortSide New York Pride of Baltimore II Royal Navy schooner shipwreck somalia Somali pirates South Street Seaport Museum Titanic tsunami US Coast Guard US Navy world war II