A Really, Really Bad Idea – The Hot Tub Boat

hottubboatOnly on rare occasional does one find a boat that would be significantly improved if run hard aground.  Here is one example, however.  Many large yachts have hot tubs onboard. This 16′ boat, however, is simply a floating hot tub with a diesel-powered boiler to keep the water hot, an electric motor for propulsion, a sound system and four coolers for beverages (of course.)  I wonder where the PFDs are stored.  Why this nautical accident-waiting-to-happen is in any way superior to a dock-side hot tub is not clear to me.  With luck it would never leave the dock.  Available at Hammacher Schlemmer for a price of $42,000.

All You Need in a Boat: An 8-Foot Hot Tub and Four Coolers

This entry was posted in Current, Lore of the Sea and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to A Really, Really Bad Idea – The Hot Tub Boat

1. Perhaps if they are disturbed enough or just have the money this is what they might buy. Crazy but then again it IS their money to waste – at least before Mr. Obama taxes it all at 65% or more!!

Good Watch.

2. Rick Spilman says:

The marginal tax rate under the Obama administration is only rising to the Clinton era rate of 39.6% and that only applies to the highest earners and last dollars earned. Let us not forget that Mitt Romney only paid around 13% despite earning many millions. And that was for the one year he released his returns. He probably paid less in the returns he kept hidden.

3. ed weglein says:

I’ve always thought the idea is to keep the water out of the boat, not ride around cooking in it !

4. Andy Hall says:

Given the seeming lack of nautical common sense of whoever designed this thing, I wouldn’t surprise me a bit if they equipped it with PDFs, as opposed to PFDs. ;-)

5. Rick Spilman says:

No Andy, that idiocy was entirely my own. (And no the first time I have made that typo, either.) Thanks for pointing it out. Fixed it.

6. Erin says:

The Pfd’s are stored in the forward hatch.

7. Erin says:

Perhaps mr hall should perform some basic buoyancy calculations and review the us coast guard boat builders guide before claiming boats lack nautical common sense. This vessel is most definitely in abidance with both, as per their website :)

8. Caleb says:

Having been on it myself, I can tell you that not only is it stable (with storage for pfds and snacks and drinks) it is also delightful.
    A hail storm even briefly interrupted our cruise but we were all warm, safe and happy the whole time!

As Sam I am says, ‘Try it, try it and you may see!’