Just before Christmas we posted about reports that the Queen Elizabeth 2 had been sold to Chinese scrappers for £20m after plans to convert the ship to a luxury hotel in Dubai fell through. Now there is an eleventh hour proposal to bring the iconic ship to London to be moored on the Thames. The plan being discussed would permanently place the ship alongside Carlsberg Wharf – opposite the O2 Arena, and near the Emirates Cable Car, Excel Conference Centre, and Canary Wharf. Like the previous plan in Dubai, the ship would be converted to a luxury hotel. Whether the new scheme will be able to attract sufficient funding in time to save the ship is not yet clear.
Featured BooksHell Around the Horn
by Rick Spilman
A special message to the readers of Hell Around the Horn - Click hereThe Frigate Surprise: The Complete Story of the Ship Made Famous in the Novels of Patrick O'Brian by by Geoff Hunt and Brian Lavery
- John Barltrop on Update: Sewol Ferry Disaster — Ferry Owner Yoo Byung-eun Found Dead
- MICHALINE ANDRUSKO on The Return of Farrell Lines? Or Merely Seeing Shadows?
- Rick Spilman on Crow’s Nests : Part 2 — Floki, Ravens and Fighting Tops
- Ross E Pollock on Crow’s Nests : Part 2 — Floki, Ravens and Fighting Tops
- Phil on LaSalle’s Freeze-Dried Shipwreck La Belle on the Move
- Wrak VS vriesdroog naar museum | Bootjesgek.nl on LaSalle’s Freeze-Dried Shipwreck La Belle on the Move
- Kyle on LaSalle’s Freeze-Dried Shipwreck La Belle on the Move
- Scheepvaartnieuws | Bootjesgek.nl on Isabelle Autissier: Lessons from the Sea
- Mimi Filer on Whaler Charles W. Morgan Sails with Whales off Stellwagen Bank
- Jan Christensen on “No Ordinary Women” — Reality TV and the Hyping of the Volvo Ocean Race
- Rick Spilman on “No Ordinary Women” — Reality TV and the Hyping of the Volvo Ocean Race
- Diego on “No Ordinary Women” — Reality TV and the Hyping of the Volvo Ocean Race
- Seymour Hamilton on “No Ordinary Women” — Reality TV and the Hyping of the Volvo Ocean Race
- walt stevens on Crow’s Nests : Part 1 — Melville & Captain Scoresby
- jmoney on The Unsinkable Hugh Williams – Truth Behind the Legend?
TagsA.J. Meerwald aircraft carrier Alaska America's Cup Antarctica Australia Brad Van Liew California Canada capsize Charles W. Morgan China City of Adelaide container ship Costa Concordia Cutty Sark fire Giglio Gulf of Mexico HMS Bounty HMS Victory hudson river Japan Joan Druett Laura Dekker Maine Maritime Museum of San Diego mystic seaport new york new york harbor New Zealand pirates PortSide New York Pride of Baltimore II Royal Navy schooner shipwreck somalia Somali pirates South Street Seaport Museum Titanic tsunami US Coast Guard US Navy world war II