François Gabart sailing MCIF in the Vendée Globe is less than 700 miles from the finish line, 76 days after setting out in the singled-handed around-the-world race. Armel Le Cléac´h sailing Banque Populaire is roughly one hundred miles behind Gabart. The third place contender, Jean-Pierre Dick on Virbac Paprec 3, is still determining whether or not he will be able to finish the race. Three days ago, the articulating keel on his boat broke off and since then he has been relying on water ballast for stability. On a recent video broadcast he commented, ‘I’d go faster if I had a keel.’ Alex Thomson sailing Hugo Black in fourth place is standing by to assist Dick is necessary.
Featured BooksHell Around the Horn
by Rick Spilman
A special message to the readers of Hell Around the Horn - Click hereThe Frigate Surprise: The Complete Story of the Ship Made Famous in the Novels of Patrick O'Brian by by Geoff Hunt and Brian Lavery
- Rick Spilman on Are Passenger Ro-Ros Inherently Unsafe? The Sewol Tragedy & Past Passenger/Ro-Ro Disasters
- DAVID RYE on Are Passenger Ro-Ros Inherently Unsafe? The Sewol Tragedy & Past Passenger/Ro-Ro Disasters
- cb on Update: Captain Error and Poor Bridge Design Caused Seastreak Wall Street Ferry Collision
- This Week’s Top New York History News | The New York History Blog on From the “Hole-in-the-Wall” to the Bridge Café — Gallus Mag to Hurricane Sandy
- Rick Spilman on E Ship 1 – Has the Flettner Rotor Ship Finally Arrived?
- naomi on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
- Phil on An Easter Sailing Video — Are Those My Peeps ?
- Rick Spilman on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
- kevin on Search Continues for Missing Crew from Bulk Carrier Nasco Diamond
- CAPT. D. Peter Boucher, Kt. SMOM, Dip. LA, MM (Ret.) on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
- Irwin Bryan on Saving the Gloucester Gillnetter Phyllis A.
- Capt Jerry Robbins,usmm(ret) on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
- Bob Stockton on Dead Fin Whale Arrives in New York Harbor on Bow of Container Ship
- jim konopasek on Schooner Bessie A. White – Hide & Seek Beneath the Sands of Fire Island
- sara on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
TagsA.J. Meerwald aircraft carrier Alaska America's Cup Antarctica Australia Brad Van Liew California Canada China City of Adelaide container ship Costa Concordia Cutty Sark fire Giglio Gulf of Mexico HMS Bounty HMS Victory hudson river India Japan Joan Druett Laura Dekker Maine Maritime Museum of San Diego mystic seaport new york New York City new york harbor New Zealand pirates PortSide New York Pride of Baltimore II Royal Navy schooner shipwreck somalia Somali pirates South Street Seaport Museum Titanic tsunami US Coast Guard US Navy world war II