In the Antarctic winter of 1916, Ernest Shackleton and a crew of five sailed in a decked over lifeboat from Elephant Island to South Georgia. They were on a desperate rescue mission across 800 miles of the roughest ocean in the world, seeking help for the rest of the crew of the Shackleton’s expedition, which had spent two years on the Antarctic ice. Now almost 100 years later, the Shackleton Epic Expedition led by Tim Jarvis has set off from near Point Wild on Elephant Island to recreate the extraordinary voyage in a replica lifeboat, named the Alexandra Shackleton, in honor of the explorer’s granddaughter. See our previous post from last March.
Featured BooksHell Around the Horn
by Rick Spilman
A special message to the readers of Hell Around the Horn - Click hereThe Frigate Surprise: The Complete Story of the Ship Made Famous in the Novels of Patrick O'Brian by by Geoff Hunt and Brian Lavery
- This Week’s New York History Web Highlights | The New York History Blog on PortSide’s “Heavy Metal” Fundraising Sale!
- Bill McGrath on Nuclear plant leak in Antarctica suspected of causing cancer
- Rita Reneé Bronson on Missing WWII Sub, R12, Found with 42 Entombed Sailors
- OMG! Invasive Species: Asian Carp Confound U.S. System – Nick's Crusade on The Asian Carp Invasion – Kayaker Hit by Flying Carp
- John Barltrop on Update: Sewol Ferry Disaster — Ferry Owner Yoo Byung-eun Found Dead
- MICHALINE ANDRUSKO on The Return of Farrell Lines? Or Merely Seeing Shadows?
- Rick Spilman on Crow’s Nests : Part 2 — Floki, Ravens and Fighting Tops
- Ross E Pollock on Crow’s Nests : Part 2 — Floki, Ravens and Fighting Tops
- Phil on LaSalle’s Freeze-Dried Shipwreck La Belle on the Move
- Wrak VS vriesdroog naar museum | Bootjesgek.nl on LaSalle’s Freeze-Dried Shipwreck La Belle on the Move
- Kyle on LaSalle’s Freeze-Dried Shipwreck La Belle on the Move
- Scheepvaartnieuws | Bootjesgek.nl on Isabelle Autissier: Lessons from the Sea
- Mimi Filer on Whaler Charles W. Morgan Sails with Whales off Stellwagen Bank
- Jan Christensen on “No Ordinary Women” — Reality TV and the Hyping of the Volvo Ocean Race
- Rick Spilman on “No Ordinary Women” — Reality TV and the Hyping of the Volvo Ocean Race
TagsA.J. Meerwald aircraft carrier Alaska America's Cup Antarctica Australia Brad Van Liew California Canada capsize Charles W. Morgan China City of Adelaide container ship Costa Concordia Cutty Sark fire Giglio Gulf of Mexico HMS Bounty HMS Victory hudson river Japan Joan Druett Laura Dekker Maine Maritime Museum of San Diego mystic seaport new york new york harbor New Zealand pirates PortSide New York Pride of Baltimore II Royal Navy schooner shipwreck somalia Somali pirates South Street Seaport Museum Titanic tsunami US Coast Guard US Navy world war II