Calling all Sea Goddesses and would-be Sea Goddesses. Applications are now being accepted for the Maine Sea Goddess Pageant. The Pageant is open to 20 young women who are single, a high school (or equivalent GED) graduate, not more than 21 years of age, and a Maine resident. The young woman chosen as Sea Goddess receives a $2,000 cash award and represents the Maine lobster fishing industry at events in Maine and across New England throughout her one-year reign. This year’s Maine Lobster Festival Sea Goddess Coronation will take place on Wednesday evening, July 31, the first day of the 66th annual Maine Lobster Festival, which will be held on the Rockland waterfront from Wednesday through Sunday, July 31st through August 4. Applications are being accepted through April 15, 2013. The application and supporting information must be postmarked no later than April 15 but no earlier than March 1. Please mail to: Maine Lobster Festival Coronation Committee, P.O. Box 552, Rockland 04841. For information, call pageant chairwoman Sharon Lombardo at 594-4559 or 691-5203.
Featured BooksHell Around the Horn
by Rick Spilman
A special message to the readers of Hell Around the Horn - Click hereThe Frigate Surprise: The Complete Story of the Ship Made Famous in the Novels of Patrick O'Brian by by Geoff Hunt and Brian Lavery
- This Week’s New York History Web Highlights | The New York History Blog on PortSide’s “Heavy Metal” Fundraising Sale!
- Bill McGrath on Nuclear plant leak in Antarctica suspected of causing cancer
- Rita Reneé Bronson on Missing WWII Sub, R12, Found with 42 Entombed Sailors
- OMG! Invasive Species: Asian Carp Confound U.S. System – Nick's Crusade on The Asian Carp Invasion – Kayaker Hit by Flying Carp
- John Barltrop on Update: Sewol Ferry Disaster — Ferry Owner Yoo Byung-eun Found Dead
- MICHALINE ANDRUSKO on The Return of Farrell Lines? Or Merely Seeing Shadows?
- Rick Spilman on Crow’s Nests : Part 2 — Floki, Ravens and Fighting Tops
- Ross E Pollock on Crow’s Nests : Part 2 — Floki, Ravens and Fighting Tops
- Phil on LaSalle’s Freeze-Dried Shipwreck La Belle on the Move
- Wrak VS vriesdroog naar museum | Bootjesgek.nl on LaSalle’s Freeze-Dried Shipwreck La Belle on the Move
- Kyle on LaSalle’s Freeze-Dried Shipwreck La Belle on the Move
- Scheepvaartnieuws | Bootjesgek.nl on Isabelle Autissier: Lessons from the Sea
- Mimi Filer on Whaler Charles W. Morgan Sails with Whales off Stellwagen Bank
- Jan Christensen on “No Ordinary Women” — Reality TV and the Hyping of the Volvo Ocean Race
- Rick Spilman on “No Ordinary Women” — Reality TV and the Hyping of the Volvo Ocean Race
TagsA.J. Meerwald aircraft carrier Alaska America's Cup Antarctica Australia Brad Van Liew California Canada capsize Charles W. Morgan China City of Adelaide container ship Costa Concordia Cutty Sark fire Giglio Gulf of Mexico HMS Bounty HMS Victory hudson river Japan Joan Druett Laura Dekker Maine Maritime Museum of San Diego mystic seaport new york new york harbor New Zealand pirates PortSide New York Pride of Baltimore II Royal Navy schooner shipwreck somalia Somali pirates South Street Seaport Museum Titanic tsunami US Coast Guard US Navy world war II