The world’s oldest surviving clipper ship, City of Adelaide, has arrived in Port Hedland, Western Australia. She has been carried from Scotlandon the deck of the heavy-lift ship MV Palanpur, with intermediate stops to load and discharge other cargo. MV Palanpur is in Port Hedland discharging six trains loaded in Norfolk. If all goes well, City of Adelaide will arrive in its namesake city in just less than a week. In the mean time, the City of Adelaide Preservation Trust is continuing to raise money to bring the 1864-built ship back to Adelaide, to prepare a site and to preserve the ship. Thus far, they have raised $156,000 of their $750,000 fundraising target. Click here to help support the historic ship.
City of Adelaide is a composite clipper ship, one of only tow surviving, along the with Cutty Sark. City of Adelaide was built in Sunderland, England in 1864 by William Pile, Hay and Co. Between 1864 and 1887 the ship made 23 voyages from London and Plymouth to Adelaide, South Australia, transporting passengers and cargo. She later served as a training vessel for the Royal Navy as HMS Carrick between 1923 and 1948.