Featured BooksHell Around the Horn
by Rick Spilman
A special message to the readers of Hell Around the Horn - Click hereThe Frigate Surprise: The Complete Story of the Ship Made Famous in the Novels of Patrick O'Brian by by Geoff Hunt and Brian Lavery
- Rick Spilman on The Vikings, the Rus’ & Kiev — the Entangled History of Russia and Ukraine
- Andrew Reinbach on The Vikings, the Rus’ & Kiev — the Entangled History of Russia and Ukraine
- baja on All is Lost, Robert Redford as Solo Sailor – a Review
- dennis oboyle on Historic Schooner Nina and Crew of Seven Missing Off New Zealand
- Chet Robbins on Vows: Can a Captain Marry Us?
- Phil on Update: Ukrainian Flagship Hetman Sahaidachny Sighted Off Crete, Defection Reports Denied
- phil on Vows: Can a Captain Marry Us?
- Louis Cohen on Vows: Can a Captain Marry Us?
- Robert on USS Freedom, Continued Break Downs in Singapore, Troubled LCS Program Facing Cuts
- shopping on A Barge Calls in Brooklyn (& Manhattan) – Shopping at the Vermont Sail Freight Project
- Anthony on PT 658 – The Last Running PT Boat
- Jan Christensen on M5 and the Modern Clipper Ships of the Super-Rich
- Phil on Two Officers Die, Seven Sailors Injured in Fire on Indian Submarine Sindhuratna
- DAVID RYE on Two Officers Die, Seven Sailors Injured in Fire on Indian Submarine Sindhuratna
- Curt from Maine on About the Blog
Proudly powered by WordPress. Weaver by WeaverTheme.com
TagsA.J. Meerwald aircraft carrier Alaska America's Cup Antarctica Australia Brad Van Liew California Canada China City of Adelaide container ship Costa Concordia Cutty Sark fire Giglio Gulf of Mexico HMS Bounty HMS Victory hudson river India Japan Joan Druett Laura Dekker Maine Maritime Museum of San Diego mystic seaport new york New York City new york harbor New Zealand pirates PortSide New York Pride of Baltimore II Royal Navy schooner shipwreck somalia Somali pirates South Street Seaport Museum Titanic tsunami US Coast Guard US Navy world war II
Tag Archives: cruise ship
At around 2:50 AM Monday night a fire broke out on the Royal Caribbean cruise ship, Grandeur of the Seas, which had been bound for Coco Cay, Bahamas. The ship was rerouted to Freeport, Bahamas where the 2,224 passengers and 796 … Continue reading
An engine room fire has knocked out the propulsion and the primary electrical system on the cruise ship Carnival Triumph in the Gulf of Mexico off the Yucatan Peninsula. Emergency generators are providing limited power to the passenger areas. The ship … Continue reading
Update: A fire broke out late Friday in an engine room on the luxury cruise ship, MV Azamara Quest, while en route from Manila to Sandakan in Sabah, Malaysia. Five members of the crew were injured, suffering smoke inhallation. One crew member is reported … Continue reading
The 275′ French tuna purse seiner Trevignon has made a much bigger catch than normal – the 28,430 gross tonne cruise ship Costa Allegra. The Trevignon is slowly towing the cruise ship to Mahé, in the Seychelles, and is expected to arrive early … Continue reading
A Korean couple on their honeymoon, who had been trapped below decks on the cruise ship Costa Concordia for over 24 hours after the ship ran aground and sank in shallow water near the island of Giglio, off Italy’s Tuscan coast, were rescued yesterday. A third … Continue reading
Just two hours after leaving port in Civitavecchia, the cruise ship Costa Concordia hit a reef near the island of Giglio, off Italy’s Tuscan coast, reportedly ripping a 165-foot gash in its hull. The ship began flooding and rolled on its … Continue reading
In April of 2007, the cruise ship Sea Diamond struck a reef off the island of Santorini and sank. Nearly 1,600 passengers where rescued and two passengers drowned. Now four years later the Greek government has says that it cannot afford to remove … Continue reading
Violent weather in the Eastern Mediterranean – bulk carrier Adriatic sinks and Brilliance of the Seas battered
Heavy rains, strong winds and high seas hit the eastern Mediterranean over the weekend with winds of 100 kilometres per hour and waves reaching heights of 10 metres, sinking the Moldavian bulk carrier, Adriatic, off the coast of Israel and battering the RCCL cruise ship, Brilliance of … Continue reading
Cruise ship operators would prefer that their passengers exist in a hermetically sealed bubble, where they can enjoy the sea without ever having to be exposed to it; where their passengers can look up occasionally from drinking, dining and spending money in the onboard … Continue reading
An update to our previous post – the Sapphire Princess cruise ship, which was found to have impaled a female humpback whale on her bulbous bow last week, probably did not kill the whale. A necropsy finished this week suggests that the whale was already dead. This is … Continue reading
Huge wave kills 2 on cruise ship in Mediterranean A 26-foot wave smashed into a cruise ship carrying nearly 2,000 people in the Mediterranean on Wednesday, smashing glass windshields and killing two passengers, according to officials and news reports.