Featured BooksHell Around the Horn
by Rick Spilman
A special message to the readers of Hell Around the Horn - Click hereThe Frigate Surprise: The Complete Story of the Ship Made Famous in the Novels of Patrick O'Brian by by Geoff Hunt and Brian Lavery
- Rick Spilman on Earth Day on a Misnamed Planet– First Climate Change Refugees & Planning for Climate Change War
- Paul C on Earth Day on a Misnamed Planet– First Climate Change Refugees & Planning for Climate Change War
- CAPT. D. Peter Boucher, Kt. SMOM, Dip.LA, MM (Ret.) on Earth Day on a Misnamed Planet– First Climate Change Refugees & Planning for Climate Change War
- Jan Christensen on Earth Day on a Misnamed Planet– First Climate Change Refugees & Planning for Climate Change War
- Marcello Niccolai on The Return of Farrell Lines? Or Merely Seeing Shadows?
- Rick Spilman on Are Passenger Ro-Ros Inherently Unsafe? The Sewol Tragedy & Past Passenger/Ro-Ro Disasters
- DAVID RYE on Are Passenger Ro-Ros Inherently Unsafe? The Sewol Tragedy & Past Passenger/Ro-Ro Disasters
- cb on Update: Captain Error and Poor Bridge Design Caused Seastreak Wall Street Ferry Collision
- This Week’s Top New York History News | The New York History Blog on From the “Hole-in-the-Wall” to the Bridge Café — Gallus Mag to Hurricane Sandy
- Rick Spilman on E Ship 1 – Has the Flettner Rotor Ship Finally Arrived?
- naomi on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
- Phil on An Easter Sailing Video — Are Those My Peeps ?
- Rick Spilman on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
- kevin on Search Continues for Missing Crew from Bulk Carrier Nasco Diamond
- CAPT. D. Peter Boucher, Kt. SMOM, Dip. LA, MM (Ret.) on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
TagsA.J. Meerwald aircraft carrier Alaska America's Cup Antarctica Australia Brad Van Liew California Canada China City of Adelaide container ship Costa Concordia Cutty Sark fire Giglio Gulf of Mexico HMS Bounty HMS Victory hudson river India Japan Joan Druett Laura Dekker Maine Maritime Museum of San Diego mystic seaport new york New York City new york harbor New Zealand pirates PortSide New York Pride of Baltimore II Royal Navy schooner shipwreck somalia Somali pirates South Street Seaport Museum Titanic tsunami US Coast Guard US Navy world war II
Tag Archives: explosion
A massive explosion, followed by a fire, has partially sunk the Indian Navy’s diesel electric submarine INS Sindhurakshak early this morning at the Mumbai naval dockyard. Eighteen officers and sailors were reported to be aboard at the time of the explosion … Continue reading
Update 2: Current reports say that eleven were injured, four critically. Two workers are still missing. An oil and gas rig in the Gulf of Mexico, about 20 nautical miles southeast of Grand Isle, La., was hit by an explosion … Continue reading
The container ship, MSC Flaminia, is in flames, drifting in the North Atlantic, roughly half way between Britain and Canada, approximately 1,000 miles west of Cornwall. One man is reported either be missing or to have died from burns. At least … Continue reading
Audio: Yacht Explosion Hoax Distress Call The distress call came into the Coast Guard, who immediately dispatched rescue helicopters and boats.
Yesterday we posted about an odd distress call. The Coast Guard now considers the report that the yacht Blind Date exploded off the coast of New Jersey to be a likely hoax. No debris from the yacht was ever found. Nor were … Continue reading
A very odd news report from this afternoon. At around 4:20 PM, a yacht identified as the Blind Date is reported to have exploded with 21 people aboard in the Atlantic, about 17.5 miles off Sandy Hook, New Jersey, according to NBC New York. The people aboard are said to have … Continue reading
On Sunday, the 6535 dwt South Korean tanker, Doola No. 3, exploded in the Yellow Sea near the port of Incheon. Of the crew of 16, 5 are confirmed dead while 6 are missing. The explosion ripped the tanker in half. The … Continue reading
An explosion in a fuel tank on the cruise ship docks in Gibraltar today injured several on the dock and over twelve passengers on the 3,634-passenger Royal Caribbean cruise ship, Independence of the Seas. The injuries to passengers were all reported to be minor. … Continue reading
An oil platform operated by Mariner Energy exploded today near Vermilion Bay in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Louisiana. One worker was reported injured. No one was killed and no significant oil spill resulted. Mariner Energy has been involved at least 13 … Continue reading
Over the last week, there have been no shortage of theories and often contradictory claims about what caused the damage to the hull and deck house of the MOL tanker M. Star while transiting the Straits of Hormuz. The initial … Continue reading
Depending on which of the various news reports you read, the MOL 314,016 dwt tanker M. Star suffered either an explosion, was hit by a grenade or was struck by a freak wave caused by an earthquake while transiting the Straits of Hormuz. … Continue reading