Featured BooksHell Around the Horn
by Rick Spilman
A special message to the readers of Hell Around the Horn - Click hereThe Frigate Surprise: The Complete Story of the Ship Made Famous in the Novels of Patrick O'Brian by by Geoff Hunt and Brian Lavery
- Marcello Niccolai on The Return of Farrell Lines? Or Merely Seeing Shadows?
- cb on Update: Captain Error and Poor Bridge Design Caused Seastreak Wall Street Ferry Collision
- Rick Spilman on E Ship 1 – Has the Flettner Rotor Ship Finally Arrived?
- naomi on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
- Phil on An Easter Sailing Video — Are Those My Peeps ?
- Rick Spilman on South Korean Ferry Tragedy — Close to 300 Missing as Ferry Sewol Sinks
Tag Archives: grounding
In 2005, when the Greenpeace flagship, Rainbow Warrior, ran aground on Tubbataha Reef in the Sulu Sea, the captain claimed that the reef was incorrectly plotted on his charts. As reported by the UK’s Guardian in November 1, 2005: Red Constantino of Greenpeace Southeast Asia blamed the incident on a … Continue reading
There are no weekends off at sea and this has been a busy Saturday. Off Sicily, the 18,000 DWT Italian tanker Gelso M ran aground in a storm, with reports of engine room flooding. The crew of 19 was evacuated by helicopter without injury. … Continue reading
One week ago, the Costa Concordia grounded off the island of Giglio. Eleven passengers or crew are confirmed dead. Twenty four people are missing. The ship itself has sunk in shallow water having rolled 80 degrees on its side. What else do we … Continue reading
Depending on what one reads, the oil spill associated with the grounding of the MV Rena on Astrolabe Reef off Tauranga, New Zealand is either a “small leak” or a “looming environmental disaster.” Conceivably, depending on the integrity of the ship’s hull, both … Continue reading